We're counting down to the day we'll leave for Washington D.C. for the RESULTS International Conference and Lobby Day June 21-24! This will make the second real D.C. lobby trip for my 10-year-old and the first one for my 8-year-old. Oh, sure, they have met with senators up there before for a town hall meeting. Plus, both done their share of in-district lobbying locally, but this is the real deal. They will attend conference sessions and watch movies to educate themselves on issues side by side with adult activists. On Lobby Day, we'll all don our cutest duds for a full day of beating the pavement on Capitol Hill.
I'm looking forward to helping them change the world as we learn more and ask our members of Congress to support education, health, and economic justice programs. THEY are looking forward to:
- Sleeping in a hotel...in the same room as a TV!
- Seeing old friends...some of the RESULTS staff has known them since they were tiny.
- Visting some monuments they've only read about
- Running dressed as superheroes for the Everyday Hero Dash
- Meeting face to face with Rep. Lacy Clay who usually has some toys or bracelets around his office for visiting youngsters
- Saying "Hi" to actor Sean Astin, a.k.a. "Mommy's Hobbit Friend" or "Special Agent Oso," who is also attending the conference
- Swimming in the hotel pool
- Trying to find Rep. Jan Schakowksy in the Rayburn building who they used to lobby in Chicago and often had a moment to tickle or hug them like any good grandma would.
- Get haircuts
- Make sure everybody has reeeally comfortable dress shoes that fit. (Every year those feet grow!)
- Rehearse "Let It Go" for karaoke night (as if we haven't sung it 10,000 times this month)